Forward Passing & Support Play | Skill Practice (43-P3)
Set Up / Organisation
This is practice 3 of Coaching Theme 43 Forward Passing, based off the passing genius of Xabi Alonso. With a 4 v 4 based in a 25 by 25 yard central zone, players attempt to break out of this area to create a one v one with a waiting defender and finish in one of the mini goals.
- Possession teams can use their teammates outside of the zone to bounce on one touch to relieve pressure.
Progressions & Constraints | 1
- Progress by allowing an additional defender to step in with the ball on one touch, which then triggers an opposition defender to press in a 5 v 5.
Progressions & Constraints | 2
- We can progress this further by using the zone line as offside. If a ball is played through for a forward runner who finishes on one touch, the team gets 2 goals.
Key Individual Coaching Points
- Individual objectives are based on midfield players looking away from the ball for space to penetrate
- We can then focus on players finding spaces to exploit to receive penetrating passes
- Finally, individual 1 v 1 attacking ability with dribbling in tight spaces can be developed.