Shooting In & Around The Penalty Area | Skill (21-P2)
Practice 2 in Theme 21 Shooting in and around the penalty area, develops short combinations to create 1 v 1s and 2 v 1 situations. We look at the quality of passes played, receivers first touch and speed of attacks.
Players must follow their pass moving onto the next station, with 2 defenders taking it in turns to defend in 1 v 1s; all players must work both ways. If attackers get past defenders they can finish, if defenders win possession they can score in the mini goal, replicating a pass out from the back.
Key Coaching Points
- Technical | Feint to get away from defender and finishing technique
- Physical | Speed to accelerate away from defenders
- Psychological | Remain confident throughout when driving at defenders
Progressions & Constraints
We can progress to a 2 v 1 situation with an attacker playing up against a single defender working on hold up play and support. We maintain this rotation, allowing all players to play in different positions, with a real focus on timing of passes, forward runs and defender’s decisions to press.
- What are the defenders weaknesses and how can you take advantage of these?
- How do your decisions change in a 2 v 1 compared to 1 v 1 attacking?