Winning Possession In MF 3rd | Opposed (11-P1)
Organisation / Set Up
This opposed practice is focused on midfield players regaining possession and developing and finishing attacks In the attacking transition phase. In a 40 x 25 Yard area, we had 3 zones as shown. Reds play in a 231 against Gold in a 122.
Key Coaching Points
- Tactical | Recognise pressing triggers as a unit and counter effectively
- Technical | Defending technique and ability to penetrate with forward passes
- Social | Defensive pressure as a defending unit - press and cover
Progressions & Constraints | 1
- Allow Gold striker to drop in to create 3 v 3 to progress play.
Progressions & Constraints | 2
- Gold players able to bounce back to defender to rebuild play if they are under pressure, forcing Red defenders to be more calculated in their pressure.
Key Coaching Questions
- How can you break into the final third quickly to create 1 v 1 and 2 v 1 situations on the counter?
- How can you regain pressure quickly in the central zone without leaving your midfield area exposed for penetrative passes?