Improve Finishing | Opposed Practice (09-P3)
Organisation / Set Up
This practice helps to develop 1 v 1 attacking and defending, with an emphasis on attacking player's movement to beat defenders and to lose markers to attack crosses. Work both ways with one player passing to a support player who will set for attacking player to drive at the defender to finish against the GK. If defenders win possession, they can clear the ball or score in mini goals if coach adds these.
Key Coaching Points
- Tactical | Recognise when and how to take on defender effectively
- Technical | Dribbling ability to take player on, plus finishing technique
- Psychological | Confidence to beat players repeatedly
Progressions & Constraints
- Add mini goals for defenders to score in on regaining possession.
- Add time constraint as a competition between 2 attacking groups, who can score first or how many goals can the 2 or 3 players score in 2 minutes?
Key Coaching Questions
- How are you able to take on players successfully?
- What is each defender's strategy against different defenders?