How to Defend Compact as Defending 3 (06-P1)
- Attacking Emphasis 35% 35%
- Defending Emphasis 65% 65%
Number of Players
20 x 20 yard for younger age groups, increasing in size with age increase no bigger than 30 x 30. Four players to keep possession on outside of square with two Floaters either end & 1-2 placed centrally, with four Yellows central trying to regain possession. When possession regained Yellows move to outside, Blues become central defending players.
Once defenders have gained possession, then now become outside players and switch play.
1 player can step inside off the line, encouraging outside floater to find angles.
One defender can now press in the outside area, leaving 2 defenders centrally to limit any penetration.
A player can now drop into central zone to connect of the shoulder or pressing defender, timing is crucial.
After successfull connection in the area, player must drop and another player from one of the two remaining teams must look to connect in the central zone.
Key Coaching Points
- Pressing and Screening
- Compactness in central zone
- Communication between defenders
- Where is the best position to support my teammate?
- How can I limit penetration?
- How does this change defending when a teammate presses?