WINNING POSSESSION IN MF 3RD | OPPOSED (11-P2)
Set Up | Direction
In this Possession / Pressing Opposed Practice, we focus on pairs of defenders regaining possession as quickly as possible. Multi Directional Practice | This practice focuses on developing players ability to press possession players to regain possession quickly, through forcing direction and limiting gaps for opposition to play through. Work with 3 balls between 6 players, giving the 2 defenders chance to win each ball as quickly as possible. When possession won they can score in any one of 4 mini goals as shown, before pressing the group to win second ball and third. Once all balls won, rotate defending players.
- Attacking Emphasis 30% 30%
- Defending Emphasis 70% 70%
Number of Players
Key Coaching Point 1
Progressions & Constraints 2
Time each pair to win 6 balls, work 3 balls and then another 3 once they are won.
Key Coaching Points
- Ensure Possession and movement between passing players challenges defensive pairings.
- Speed of press, with a particular focus on triggers for pressing as a pair (i.e. Slow pass, bad touch, lofted pass).
- Limiting gaps in between, trying to isolate 1 or 2 passing players.
- Effective communication for both defending and passing players throughout (e.g. time, man on, press).