CREATING SPACE | SKILL (15-P3)
Practice 3 of our possession based themed ‘Creating Space’ is based on attacking in a 4231 against a traditional 442. In what is essentially a 6 v 2 Rondo. Our 6 players look to keep possession around a defending pair (9 and 10) in a 15 by 15 yard area, creating space to penetrate, if defenders win the ball they must run the ball over any line within 3 seconds. Players must look to draw defenders one side to create space in wide areas or play a split pass by encouraging a single player press.
- Attacking Emphasis 75% 75%
- Defending Emphasis 25% 25%
Number of Players
Set up – Penetrating and Playing Around
Key Points: Establish these early
Progressions & Constraints | 1 – Player Drop In
Progressions & Constraints | 2 – Midfield Rotation
Progressions & Constraints | 3 – Channel Zones
Progressions & Constraints | 4 – Channel Rotations
Game Influence | CB Penetrate 2 Strikers
Game Influence 2 | FB Creating Angles
Game Influence 3 | CM Drop to Link
Key Coaching Points
- Tactical | Forcing direction to create a 2 v 2 and eliminate extra attacking player
- Technical | Defensive ability in 1 v 1s, jockeying on toes able to adjust and turn
- Social | Support teammates who become the primary pressing player (positioning)
- Player Challenges | Defenders
- Defenders spotting gaps to penetrate
- Player Challenges | Fullbacks
- Fullbacks creating quick angles to build play in front and behind the ballPace and angles of recovery runs made
- Player Challenges | Midfielders
- Midfielders recognising when and how to drop in to connect.
- How can create space behind pressing defenders?
- When do you speed up your short passes?
- How can you link in behind defenders to keep possession moving?
- When do you need to play on the back foot and why?