Forward Passing & Support Play | Skill Practice (43-P1)
Set Up / Organisation
Here players are set up in two separate 152 yard grids, in a 2 v 2 possession, with four floaters on the outside. Players must simply keep possession through combining with outside players, who begin on 1 touch.
Progression 1 | Floaters Rotation
- Outside players can now rotate with teammate on inside after every 3 passes centrally becomes 4 v 4 directional.
Progression 2 | Grid Changeover
- On rotation player who moves to outside can switch with outside player in opposite grid. Communication and awareness.
Progression 3 | Ball Transfer
- If pass played to outside player, can switch play with opposite group who must be aware (checking shoulders).
- Creating Space | Touch | Body Shape | Awareness | Double movement
Key Coaching Points
- For pre-season this practice can be extended to ensure central players are working hard in the initial phases. 2 v 2's can be demanding, especially when players are limited with options outside.
- S - SPACE: Players must check shoulders consistently to recognise space in which to play.
- T - TIME: Players to communicate time players have available and coach can set time limits for each practice, with elements of competition between pairs.
- E - EQUIPMENT: 2 areas, allows numbers to be catered for and progressions can be creative as shown, if more players could add another square with less floaters.
- P - PLAYERS: Possible use of a floater in central area to maintain flow of possession, possibly extending area in which players can play.
Article Description Here players are set up in two seperate 152 yard grids, in a 2 v 2 possession, with four floaters on the outside. Players must simply keep possession through combining with outside players, who begin on 1 touch.