Finishing In & Around The Box | Skill Practice (33-P3)
This Sharp Shooting practice is set up as shown, ideally inside the 18 yard box with a 30 x 18 yard area. We start with 6 feeder players on the outside, with a goal with GK and 2 v 2 in possession. Can be coach led through shouting out numbers, or players on the outside can dictate practice between them by rolling ball in. Pairs must finish all balls.
Progression 1 | Outside Players 1 Touch
Focus on distances and angles of players to be able to play 1 and 2 touch to break into space in central area to finish.
Progression 2 | One Player Overload
Feeder becomes a floater creating overload to increase shooting opportunities. Change player on transition.
Progression 3 | Complete Rotation
Floaters now rotate for specific team, encouraging movement and more game like situations to lose markers.
Key Coaching Points
- This is a quick fire practice that players enjoy with the opportunity for all individuals involved in creating and scoring chances. Ensure a collection of balls are available and if possible all outside players start with 2 balls each. Also encourage speed of getting shot off with possible introduction of time to shoot once ball played.
- S - SPACE | Depending on numbers increase size if necessary and could also limit areas that players can score from, i.e. only within 6 Yard box for crosses
- T - TIME | As mentioned give condition for shot to be taken i.e. 8 seconds. Could also set time to work pair for 2 minutes.
- E - EQUIPMENT | If no GK, could position 2 mini goals on end line and players can only score 1 touch encouraging defending team to drop off.
- P - PLAYERS | Progressions change players as shown, innovative coaches can rotate players into 3 v 3, or add a floater or 2 in central area, don't be afraid to experiment.
- Coaches can develop this practice in whatever way you wish, maintaining enjoyment and improvements in finishing. Focus on technical points such as shooting in corners, ability to beat players 1 v 1 and combine to get in behind.
Reactions | Ability 1 v 1 | Finishing | Combination Play | Decision Making
Article Description This Sharp Shooting practice is set up as shown, ideally inside the 18 yard box with a 30 x 18 yard area. We start with 6 feeder players on the outside, with a goal with GK and 2 v 2 in possession.