Forward Passing & Support Play | Skill Practice (43-P1)
Set Up / Organisation
Here players are set up in two separate 152 yard grids, in a 2 v 2 possession, with four floaters on the outside. Players must simply keep possession through combining with outside players, who begin on 1 touch.
Progression 1 | Floaters Rotation
- Outside players can now rotate with teammate on inside after every 3 passes centrally becomes 4 v 4 directional.
Progression 2 | Grid Changeover
- On rotation player who moves to outside can switch with outside player in opposite grid. Communication and awareness.
Progression 3 | Ball Transfer
- If pass played to outside player, can switch play with opposite group who must be aware (checking shoulders).
- Creating Space | Touch | Body Shape | Awareness | Double movement
Key Coaching Points
- For pre-season this practice can be extended to ensure central players are working hard in the initial phases. 2 v 2's can be demanding, especially when players are limited with options outside.
- S - SPACE: Players must check shoulders consistently to recognise space in which to play.
- T - TIME: Players to communicate time players have available and coach can set time limits for each practice, with elements of competition between pairs.
- E - EQUIPMENT: 2 areas, allows numbers to be catered for and progressions can be creative as shown, if more players could add another square with less floaters.
- P - PLAYERS: Possible use of a floater in central area to maintain flow of possession, possibly extending area in which players can play.