Switching Play | Opposed Practice (39-P2)
Organisation / Set Up
25 x 25 Yard areas with 4 v 4 possession in each. Between each of the 2 areas, each team has a player at each end available to switch play in 2 touches unopposed. Objective is for possession team to make 5 passes before switching to teammates through outside player.
Progressions and Constraints
- Overload side where team is looking to switch from to escape pressure
- Add goals for Yellows to finish into on winning possession
- Pressure on outside player and allow rotation between outside & central players
Key Coaching Points
- Tactical | Recognise how and when to switch play to escape pressure.
- Technical | Ability to play pass with weight and accuracy to switch quickly.
- Social | Build relationships creating space to play under pressure quickly.
Key Coaching Questions
- How can you create space for your team to switch play quickly?
- How are opposition defending and how can you exploit this?