Defending Outnumbered | Opposed (13-P3)
Organisation / Set Up
This opposed defending practice is part 3 of theme 13 Defending Outnumbered, working 3 defenders against 6 possession players. In this 25 by 25 Yard area, there is a 10 by 10 area where defenders will begin, the objective is for the passing team to combine with a single teammate in the central area to play through; defenders must stop this.
Key Coaching Points
- (Tact) Decisions to press
- (Tech) Body shape and position in defending 1 v 1.
- (Psych) Support teammates by covering effectively.
Progressions & Constraints 1
By allowing attackers to play through to the opposite half without going through the central square, forces defenders to cover more space.
Progressions & Constraints 2
Reduce the challenge, by conditioning the possession team to 2 touch, allowing defenders more chance of winning the ball by pressing early to regain..
- How are you regaining possession by pressing effectively?
- How and when do you decide to press as a group?
- How do progressions influence your defending and how do you adapt as a defensive group?