Direct Counter From Deep | Directional Practice (08-P2)
Organisation / Set Up
This directional practice is the second of Theme 8: Direct Counter From Deep. With a focus on our midfield player receiving on the back foot to break defensive lines, we develop the timing of forward runs from 3 attackers against 2 central defenders to finish. Our midfielders first touch will dictate the type of pass played, encouraging the use of both feet. Progress by repositioning mannequins, changing passing angles as a result.
Key Coaching Points
- Technical | First touch to set for well weighed pass
- Tactical | See movement in front influencing passing decision
- Psych | Recognise success and learn strengths of teammates and opposition
Progressions & Constraints 1
Vary player’s touch to influence pass decision
Progressions & Constraints 2
Move mannequins/cones so different passes and runs encouraged.
- How can I best achieve success with my forward pass?
- What runs do I need to make?
- What are my teammate capable of (pass/runs/combinations)?