Defending Outnumbered | Opposed Practice (13-P1)
Set Up / Organisation
Practice 1 from our Van Dijk based Coaching Theme 13 ‘Defending Out Numbered’ is based on 2 teams playing in a 433. 2 Defenders set up against 3 attacking players in a 30 by 30 yard area, with one recovering defender starting on the attackers first touch. Objective is for the attacking team to score quickly taking advantage of the immediate overload, with the defending team aiming to win possession and score in one of two mini goals.
Key Coaching Points
- Tactical | Forcing direction to create a 2 v 2 and eliminate extra attacking player
- Technical | Defensive ability in 1 v 1s, jockeying on toes able to adjust and turn
- Social | Support teammates who become the primary pressing player (positioning)
Progressions & Constraints | 1
- Progression | Not allowing the defensive midfielder (4) to recover into the deepest 10 yard zone, encouraging quicker play from the front 3.
Player Challenges | 1
- Recognising pressing triggers on a bad touch or a slow pass.
Player Challenges | 2
- Providing effective covering positions for teammates.
Player Challenges | 3
- Pace and angles of recovery runs made.