Developing Support Play | Opposed (05-P1)
In this Opposed 4 v 2 practice, possession team must keep the ball in each of the 4 areas within this 202, against 2 defending players who can press to regain in any area.
If defenders win the ball, they can now play a 2 v 1 in a single 102 area to make 5 passes before moving into another square to do the same. When attacking team win the ball back, they keep possession in 4 v 2 again.
Key Coaching Point 1
- Angles and Distances of possession players to the ball in 20 x 20 and defenders press on triggers
- Passing players must now rotate away from their pass at least every 3 or 4 passes. 10 Passes a goal, Defenders 5 passes a goal on regain.
Key Coaching Point 2
- How does rotation influence defenders and passing players? Less options? Easier to regain? Increased awareness of possession team?
- Passing team must develop a 2 v 1 in a single square making 2/3 passes before switching play when pressured.
Key Coaching Point 3
- Focus on looking away from the ball to observe pressure before switching play into another box.