Defend The Defending Third | Skill Practice (03-P2)
50 x 40 area with 4 goals positioned on the corner of each base line with 2 each end as shown. 2 teams, with at least 4 v 4, no more than 8 v 8, attempting to score in either of the 2 goals in a directional possession practice.
Progression 1 | Wide Channels
- Attacking team must have a player in each wide channel to score.
Progression 2 | Outside Floaters
Players can bounce off target players on outside, 1 touch finish, defenders drop further.
Progression 3 | Central Area
- Must get played through central area, encouraging DFs to retract again (DF Decisions)
Key Coaching Points
- Although this is a defensive practice in the main, we must ensure the attacking quality is at the level it needs to be in order to work the defenders. Therefore, our first Interventions should be based on the standard of passing and movement in possession.
- Slide quickly and stay with forward runners.
- Attacking team start to be more forceful and creative - Could develop transition on regaining possession, so that once scored, they have 3 seconds to start play again from anywhere. this encourages ownership and constant speed of play.
- Play Safe / Exploit player advantage
- Individual or group challenges could be set, for example (Back 4 + MF 2 must not concede). Be creative with your progressions and tailor them to your players needs.
Defensive Compactness | Sliding Together | Forcing Direction | Decision To Press | Quality in Possession